Monday, April 9, 2012

Book Review: Socialpunk

Disclaimer: I was recruited to write this review, however I'm not actually getting paid for it, and honestly, my feelings about the book would be exactly the same if I had happened to stumble across it. Sure, the author is running a contest for all sorts of stuff, but really - the only conpensation I got was a free copy of the book :)


Socialpunk by Monica Leonelle
The book I'm reviewing is Socialpunk by Monica Leonelle. It's a short read, it clocked in at 180 pages on my Nook. If I had actually sat and read it on continous days, it would have taken me absolutely no time at all to read, but life is distracting.

Anyway, this story to me is a cross between sci-fi and fantasy. The description on the page for the Nook book reads:
Ima would give anything to escape The Dome and learn what’s beyond its barriers, but the Chicago government has kept all its citizens on lockdown ever since the Scorched Years left most of the world a desert wasteland. When a mysterious group of hooded figures enters the city unexpectedly, Ima uncovers a plot to destroy The Dome and is given the choice between escaping to a new, dangerous city or staying behind and fighting a battle she can never win.
Ima is actually an experiment - almost like the Sims. Except this experiment has gone horribly wrong. Ima, or E, as she is sometimes called, has a terribly abusive father, and is in love with a guy who will never reciprocate her feelings...all as a result of this botched experiment.

I'm not a huge fan of writing really detailed reviews, because I'm really bad at keeping from spoilers. I will say that the ending of the book made me think "WTF!?". Leonelle definitely sets the reader up for the next installment, which is apparently due come summertime with that ending. The story kept a nice pace, although about halfway through I couldn't concentrate on it...but that's more of an external issue than the book in and of itself. Like I mentioned above, the ending was kind of a cliffhanger and head scratcher all in one. My one complaint with the book is that it did end rather abruptly.

I'm also not a huge fan of sci-fi, but I did like this story, and I'm excited to read the next installment when it's released :)

You can buy Socialpunk for the Nook here, and if you're of the Kindle persuasion, here.

PS: this is the widget for the contest I mentioned above.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...